Friday, October 19, 2012

Technology makes me feel old: blogs and blogging

So, I have done this whole blogging thing in fits and starts.  I think I first blogged when I went to Uganda and that was one way the team was able to keep folks back at home informed about what we had seen.  I think I associated that blog with one of accounts and then had a hell of a time separating out that blog from my personal blog on blogspot http://psquick.blogspot.com. I could have sworn that I had figured it out but low and behold this blog, also called Elemental Things, is completely different. 

And my mother-in-law (and friend) Jane Prater has urged me to write, though I wonder if anybody else but her will read.

She has a very widely read blog (merelyasuggestion jpknits:  google it), which is heads and shoulders superior to anything I'll every produce.  It is a real blog.  It is the kind of blog for which blogging was invented.  It has features.   It has readership.  It has a purpose.  Jane says that blogs are first drafts.  Actually, I think my paper journal is my first draft.  I'm still trying to find my raison d'etre to blog.  I've blogging at work www.ctl.uga.edu, and I've enjoyed that and gotten a real kick out of people saying that they have read the blog.

Elemental Things is really just about the kinds of things that I like to do.  So maybe now that I've sorted out which blog goes where, I'll come back more often.  Next up:  pictures from my Southern Tour, though really you could just go to my Facebook page if you wanted to see those.

Oh, and there's a new car commercial out that makes fun of cars with cassette decks.  That makes me feel old too.

No comments:

Post a Comment